Sunday, November 15, 2015

PAJIBA: The Definitive Ranking Of All The 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' Songs (says them)

click here for PAJIBA.com

"West Covina" is my choice for the top song from the first five episodes of CrazyExGirlfriend
Pajiba.com chose differently.  Check the link above to see what they chose.


Okay, now we all know that the point of a list like this is so we can fun arguing about it. So let's keep the discussion friendly. After all, we all love Rebecca, right? RIGHT? Say it! SAY IT! SAY YOU LOVE REBECCA, OR I'LL GUT YOU LIKE A FISH!
Okay, I'm all right now. Look, I'm going to be obvious, and say that number one goes to "West Covina", not only because it was the most lavish, most energetic, most traditional musical number, but because Rachel really kicks it as a singer when she's singing show tunes. (Seee Cake farts song, below)
Finally, because for me, and for many others, I'm sure, it was the moment of comprehension. You watch Rachel singing and dancing, and interacting with Destiny and the Pretzel vendor, and the "Accidentes" guy who stepped off the side of the bus, and you didn't know this was a musical. It's all out of left field, you're thinking that you might like this, and then....
This happened.


I saw the giant pretzel, and that's when I knew.
"I have friends" definitely deserves more than last place, because it features Ava Acres as 12 year old Rebecca, and I think she's wonderful. In some ways, the child inside Rebecca is the main character, an iconic figure to be sure, and 10 year old Ava holds up the full weight of the conceit.    I don't get to Broadway, maybe lead actresses in musicals sing duets with their childhood selves all the time, but  I was blown away, touched and amused.


There are some very good child actors in CXGF, and they're very well used, intelligently, and never condescendingly.  I hope to talk about this later.

2 comments:

  1. If it can't be the obvious choice of WEST COVINA, I'm going with SETTLE FOR ME because I'm a sucker for Fred and Ginger homages that are done really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Settle for Me" seems to be a popular favorite. I'm not crazy about that one, which doesn't mean that I don't like it. It just means that there are others that I'm FUKKIN CRAZY ABOUT! I think it's a real popular choice. The boy band number, I love my daughter, Sex with a stranger OH AND FACE YOUR FEARS, big time! PAJIBA's number one choice, it would be my number two choice. Donna Leigh Chapman is the only person in the cast whose next song I can't wait for.

      As Rebecca herself might say, "Settle for Me" is "objectively, on-paper fantastic", and the people who love it are right to love it, and I'm just not in the right place emotionally. I think it's been too long since I've seen a Fred Astaire / Ginger Rogers movie. and I miss the old euphoria while watching a low-key parody with lines like "in a sad way, darling, it's fate" I need to see "Top Hat" again, and once I've felt those old feelings, I'll be receptive. Objectively on-paper, I know that when you can connect with the dark, honest humor, it's euphoric in a whole new way.

      Delete